Friday, January 24, 2014

Right Beside Me

Super late post today:


The way I remembered Cory today is by laying in bed, and listening to the wind chimes hung right outside my bedroom window.  They were a gift from one of her teachers.  I was touched when I was received them, and thought they were incredibly beautiful, engraved with words of comfort and Cory's name.  Little did I know what a huge source of daily comfort they would be, and an encouragement for me to listen harder, look carefully, be open and ready for the subtle signs that would be given to me to confirm that Cory is still here and always near me.  Like the song she loved so much, she is "right beside me".


I often fall asleep to the tinkling sounds, or hear them in the middle of the night.  It is soothing.  I asked Jacob once if he thought the sound of the wind chimes was simply the wind or his sister speaking to us.  Without hesitation, and with the firmest of convictions, he replied, "Both."


I will take him at his word.  We all know how smart that boy is.  Just months before the accident, Cory marveled at something that came out of her little brother's mouth, and quipped, "Mom, I knew this was going to happen.  I just didn't think it would be so soon.  He's beginning to surpass us all in intelligence.  Soon, he'll be ruling the household, and we will be nothing but helpless pawns forced to do his bidding."


God, how I miss those two together.  They were magic.
The best days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment