Thursday, January 10, 2013

Over My Head

They said it would be like waves.  Good days.  Bad days.
The calm waters are like this:  the possibility of peace is within reach, just a few inches away...if I can can just st-r-e-t-ch for it.  My thoughts go like this:  I loved her completely.  I knew her.  I will never know the agonizing regret of a parent who didn't know their child. Or walked away from them completely.
It was my privilege to watch her grow, to help shape her, every mistake a chance for us both to learn before taking the next step down the path.
 I made time to make memories, folded them carefully, minded the creases, and placed them gently in my pocket to carry with me everywhere I go.  No one can take them from me. 
The best thing I've ever known was the trust I built with her.  I know she felt the same.  No doubt whatsoever.  I protected her every chance I got...I just didn't get the chance that day.
 
But then, the winds change. 
The skies darken, and the waves come faster and higher than my head.
Yesterday, I had clarity.  Today, I am seconds away from drowning in guilt.
What in the hell was I thinking?
How could I have let her walk to the store in that heat? 
Failure, failure, failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment