Thursday, August 15, 2013

Road Rage

We all know it's not a safe idea to drive when you're emotionally distraught.  It's also not the best idea to talk on the phone while driving.  How I ended up doing both right after Cory's death is a complete mystery.  Somehow, there I was, alone, at the wheel of a moving vehicle, headed across town to pick out candles for the beginning of the service and the next day, a frame for Cory's portrait. 

I was at Target when the doors opened.  My mind was so rattled, I doubt if I could have came up with my phone number or address, if asked.  Was it any wonder that I ended up in front of their extensive aisle of candle choices, just checked out?  Those long rows of endless colors and scents just swam before my eyes, a sort of mirage, overpowered by the sight of Cory, facedown in the road, her hair obscuring her face, her arm twisted, her legs scraped and dirty.

Before long, a cute little young lady in red shirt and khakis stuck her head in the aisle to ask if I needed help.  This poor Target associate did not know what she was in for.  Did I need help?  Yes, and how...

Probably looking to be in the midst of a complete breakdown, I babbled to her about needing a candle for Cory's service.  You'd think the accident would be the last thing I'd want to discuss, but any time a stranger crossed my path in those early days, I felt an overwhelming need to tell them the whole story.  Later, I would discover this is all part of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, and is actually a good thing.  What I knew at the time was I must have scared the hell out of people.  There were usually two responses to my overshare:  a misty eyed hug or eyes that found the floor as they pretended they hadn't heard me.

This kind Target employee helped me find candles that would fit the horrifying occasion.  I took them to the register, looking around the store in disbelief...would I really never be here with Cory again?  How was that even possible?

The next day I pulled out of my driveway, deep in conversation with my mom about the things I'd written to have read about Cory at the service.  Mom and I love each other deeply, but quickly discovered that planning a funeral- like a wedding to the nth power-  brings out the worst in everyone.  That whole sense of free fall makes everyone crave a sense of control.  We were soon at each other's throats about seemingly every detail of the service.  I finally bit out these words as I merged onto the highway, "Mom, when your daughter dies, you can say whatever you want at their service, but this is MY child, and I am going to say what I feel"  I hung up before she could respond, and began crying hysterically.  I took my hands off the wheel and put them at my temples.  My foot pushed down on the gas, and I considered just letting the car drift into the lane of oncoming traffic: no more decisions I didn't want to make, but was bound heart and soul to  make as Cory would've wanted them.  No more arguing with well loved family members.  No more feeling like I didn't belong anywhere- home, out, alone, with family and friends, in a crowd. 

Just then, my phone began ringing.  I thought it would be mom, and I picked it up, barking hoarsely into it.  It was Tim, asking why I hadn't woke him, and where was I?  Just like that, the moment was over; my hands were back on the wheel, and I was on my way to make new friends at Hobby Lobby while I picked out a frame for my daughter's funeral.

No one else would know the one she'd have liked best.  No one.

No comments:

Post a Comment