Thursday, October 31, 2013

Yet Another Trip

Last night:

Sizzling hot pavement.  Blinding sun.  Slap-slap, slap-slap, slap-slap...my feet hitting the road..."What was she wearing?" thrown desperately over my shoulder to the boy. Slap-slap, slap-slap.  The answer, "short shorts and a t-shirt"  floating over the dead air to me, my head already turned back to straight ahead.  Arms pumping, legs eating up the steps between us.  It can't be far now, it can't be far now.  Bending over, winded in the heat, at the stop sign, looking, looking, desperately scanning the area.  Nothing, nothing...oh!  A body.  A body and people moving around trying to shield it from the passers-by....trying to hide the mess... locked knees, then running over, being held back by arms, by hands, who may have belonged to no one, they were just there, hanging in the air, it seemed.  They reached for me, grasped hold, held tight as I took in hair, shirt, shorts, legs.  Facedown.  Facedown. 

Oh my God, that's Cory.

No comments:

Post a Comment