Sunday, August 3, 2014

Give Me a Reason

Jake has been milking his last days of summer late nights to the max.  Even though I returned to work a couple of weeks ago, he has continued to stay up late until his dad gets home.  Once he's finally been banished to bedtime, he seeks out his last avenue:  can I talk my affection starved mother into an episode of Law & Order:  Special Victims Unit?  In our household, we've taken the liberty of changing the name of the show to Claw & Order:  Special Kittens Unit, as we always have at least one feline cuddled up pretending to sing the theme song with us when it comes on.

Out of a dead sleep, I gaze upon his handsome face, and pretty much can't tell him no.  I made the mistake of telling him that his eyes are what weaken my judgment; he now makes sure to ask me to look in his eyes when he asks permission for something.  What have I done?

The other night, we were watching Claw and Order, and one of us happened to remark on the over exaggerated  expression of joy a woman sported on one of the commercial breaks.  He giggled, delighted, and said, "Hey, Mom, she's like this..."  he said and imitated her expression.

I cracked up, and within five minutes, Claw and Order was lost to an impromptu game of expression/body language charades that must have lasted at least an hour.  We couldn't bear to stop.

  We took turns imitating family and friends' faces, and eventually each of the pets' sleeping postures- the other having to guess who was being imitated.  I am delighted to say that Cory was included by Jacob without any prompting from me.  This made my heart sing.

We pretty much laughed ourselves silly.  This, my friends, is what life has left to offer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment