Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Best Medicine

It's sort of interesting to see how when one member of the household discovers a coping technique, we sort of pass it on to the others, consciously or subconsciously.

Lately, at the Mansfield's, it's been laughter.

It started out as a way for me to connect with Jacob.  Those well known pathways to conversation- books, movies, art, and the like- are just not always the way in with him.  He is not his sister; his loves are technology, building, and philosophizing at the age of 12.

What started as a simple line in my To Do list of my planner, "share the racoon video on youtube with Jacob" became a regular thing.  He reciprocated, sharing finds of his own, and before you knew it we were going to sci-fi movies together.  The first time I asked him to go to a movie with me, and he accepted, I felt that unspeakable joy you feel when your crush turns their eye on you.  Could this be happening?

During a coffee date about a month ago, Tim shared that he also uses humor to cope.  The man is obsessed with commercials.  At least once or twice a week, he calls me or Jake into the living room to witness his latest find.  He is a lovable dork.  So back in my planner, Ive started to jot down funny commercials to share with Tim the next time I see him.

And me?  I've discovered if I make it a must to watch at least one funny movie during my weekend, either with Jake, my mom, or by myself while I'm folding laundry and planning my coming week, I feel better.

After all, isn't that how Cory and I made it through her illness?  Laughing like loons?

No comments:

Post a Comment