Sunday, March 6, 2016

Hating on the Furniture

Weekends are the worst.  The house looms empty without her laughter and silliness to fill it.  We try, Jake and I, but Cory brought the party. Our party is a bit more subdued...a little less falling-down-on the-floor-laughing and a little more pointing-at-one-another-silently-with-raised-eyebrows.

Through the week, I stay busy.  I am healthy enough now to compartmentalize most days.  I occupy my brain pretty well during my work day.  After work is the same parenting grind as anyone else:  dinner, homework, time together, shower, bedtime.  But on Saturdays and Sundays-

there is way too much time to fill.  I spend absolutely no time in my living room.  I always expect to spy her curled up at one end with her favorite blanket and Church, and when that image doesn't appear, I get the hell out of there.  What is the point?  If it is possible to resent a couch, than I do.  If it is possible to hate a room of your house just because it no longer provides you joy, than I do.

One of these days, I will buy a new couch and rearrange my furniture.   That is the plan.  For now, I will hide out in my bedroom with my turquoise IKEA rolley cart at my bedside, chocked full of art and journaling supplies, but still strangely resembling a hospital nightstand.  It has been, hands down, one of my best purchases ever.  It has kept me alive- and creating- for the last couple of years, no easy feat for an inanimate object.


No comments:

Post a Comment