Monday, September 28, 2015

Always, always, Cory Bird

Right after Cory was first diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder was tough.  Going on meds helped, but also caused some confusion, I'm sure, for someone who was busy with the work of forming her identity.  For a teenager with a mental illness, there is the daunting task of sorting out symptoms from personality traits:  who am I really?  

Tonight, I was going through old messages and found this facebook inbox message to Cory from 2009.  I am so, so happy that I told her these things, that she saw them in print, and could go back and reread them if she wanted to or needed to, just like I did tonight.  I am so grateful that she knew she was my world.


you will always be cory-girl to me

i know you must be feeling like a by-product of bi-polar at this point, like maybe your personality has been ground up, spit out, put through the milk and all that's left is the manually-separated parts like the chicken penis tacos they serve at work. I just wanted you to know that I will never think of you as my bi-polar daughter. You are Cory bird to me, with your freakishly small thumbs, your hauntingly beautiful green eyes, your smile that lights up your face and most times the room you're standing in. You are still the witty, smart, shy around large groups of people you don't know, good taste in music, learned how to accessorize and find your way around an outfit from your mother Cory girl. You are still my favorite person in the whole world to watch a movie with, go shopping with, grab a Frutista freeze with, hang around and do nothing with. I love that we get each other's humor and many times have made each other fall down laughing. And that is pure Cory-girl, no mania required. I love you and I'm always here for you

No comments:

Post a Comment