Monday, September 28, 2015

Tell Me Something

Jacob told me the other day that I am the best storyteller, so that's just what I did while we walked around the cemetery yesterday.  We were out to see Cory, water her flowers, and take a little tour of the old section.  While we walked, I told him the stories I'd written in the coffee shop that morning, one about wearing high heels to ninth grade and another about Bob saving (ahem) the day when us girls had thought someone was in the house.  I had my quiet boy laughing out loud at each of them and it made me smile so much.  Jacob shares himself with practically no one, which makes his laughter, expressions, and responses pure gold.

When we made our way back to Cory, we stood in front of her to say our goodbyes.  Jacob told her he misses her and loves her so much.  I asked him if there was something new happening that he wanted to tell his sister...that was part of this, too, to include her in his life now, however he could.  He stood there, contemplating, and then offered up to her headstone, with the smallest of smiles, "I'm in eighth grade now."

My heart broke again right there on the spot.  My babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment