Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Grool

I remember the time Cory asked out her cousin's friend on a date.

 Let me catch you up to speed:  this young man was a little older than her, scary smart, witty, and he dressed up for no reason at all... G.Q. all the way. Are you feeling me? Heck, I think I would've been scared stiff to approach him, too.  

 With complete confidence,  I told her she could do it. I reviewed my top flirting tips with her, and off she went. She told me later, she kept repeating, "I'm a big brave dog, I'm a big brave dog" like off the old RugRats cartoon to herself the entire way.

 She walked my sister's kitchen. She looked at him. She walked right back out again.  She found me, and insisted she couldn't do it. I told her she sure could and he'd be lucky to be asked by her.
"Now go, girl!! Move, move, move!!!"

 Reluctant and nervous, she went back in.  Trying to sound natural, and probably sounding nothing short of petrified, she asked him if he'd like to go to a movie with her sometime.
  He smiled at her, slowly, actually looking into her eyes.  She told me later, she almost fell down right then and there. "Like really, Mom, my knees were shaking so bad I almost finished this whole mess by falling on my stupid butt on the floor...smooooth!  How in the world do guys do this crap on a REGULAR basis?  I'd have to become a monk."

 Back in the kitchen, the GQ boy kept her waiting for an eternity, most likely weighing the thoughts taking out a pretty girl who seemed into him with taking out a pretty girl who was into him who also happened to be cousins with Matt and Blake.  But finally, he said, "Yes, I'd really like that."

 She said back to him, "Grool."

 She'd meant to casually say "great" or "cool" but in her nervous state, combined them both.
 She was mortified... but victorious!  She exited the kitchen, went into the bathroom, shut the door, and started jumping up and down like a sweepstakes winner.

She was nothing if not her mother's daughter.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment