Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Ant and The Elephant


Things were pretty bad when Bob and I lived together when we were younger.  How bad?  Well,   with no reflection on his current character, or his ability to be stable and healthy (because I still hope for that for him and I know Cory would, as well) I can say, if I had not left him when I did, I think he might have killed me…just snapped one night, and went too far.  The image of him punching his hands against the tile in my kitchen on Broadway until his knuckles bled will never leave my mind.  He threw his head back until the cords in his neck bulged, and just screamed incoherently.  All I knew during these times was to put as much space between me and him as I possibly could.  Calling for help wasn’t really an option because the first things he did were pull the phone out of the wall, and block the exit. 

Bob seldom remembered anything about his rages.  I could see him then, and I can see him now, sitting on a faded linoleum kitchen floor, with his knees up, and his head in his hands, wondering desperately just what the hell happened here? 

I used to think he was lying, but my years with Cory, and conversations with Dr. Z proved otherwise.  When someone is in such a state, they can’t always remember the sequence of events, or sometimes the events at all.   Cory said that during her rages, she felt like she was outside her body watching someone else, unaffected by others' emotions, just intent on one goal:  get the poison out.  Afterwards, when the object had been thrown or the words had been spewed, she felt horribly ashamed.

Bob was always sorry afterwards, too.  Cycle of abuse aside, I think that most times he genuinely regretted his actions.  There was a look on his face that couldn’t be manufactured- it was too bare, too naked, too genuine, too panicked.  It was that look on his face that kept me by his side…well, that, and I was madly in love with him.

 That look was the miserable, self-loathing, sick expression of the child who had wanted so badly to hold the hamster, and despite all the reminders given, had gotten too excited at the last minute, and squeezed it just a little too hard.  Give it five, ten, fifteen years, and I would see the same look on my daughter’s face, over and over again.  It was the look that said, without any artifice, “Man, I screwed it up again.  Do you still love me?  Should you?”  It was a look that said I know I scared you, and I shouldn't have, but being out of control is scary for me, too. 

It was downright eerie, and it broke my heart to see Cory looking out at the world through her father’s eyes.  I would do better than what had been done for him.  I would break the cycle, or die trying.

But back in those early days with Bob, I was trying to rein in an illness that was out of control, growing stronger and more aggressive every day with the substances he fed it to get any kind of relief:  something to bring him up when he was feeling down, something to quiet his mind so he could sleep.  My efforts were as ridiculous as an ant trying to rope an elephant and persuade it to come this way, please. 

It was such a dangerous mixture- the mood swings, the substances, and his model of problem solving witnessed as a child.  Enter one timid, eager to please girl without a lot of life experience who liked to be alone, and watch her fall ass over teakettle into the cycle of abuse.  Just like those damn ashtrays that I washed time after time, I was chasing down a certain moment in time.  I would bear any indignity for the apology, and the promise to do better next time.  And let’s face it, the treatment during the honeymoon period was the stuff of which dreams are made.

 I soaked up all that over the top, lavished upon love and affection like I was in the middle of the desert without a drop to drink.  Walking on eggshells, I convinced myself if I treated him well enough, and didn’t make him mad, he would continue to treat me with the love and affection I craved.  Surely, that elephant would follow where I led... someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment