Monday, February 3, 2014

How EveryDay Objects are Made Sacred

Cory Days #11 & 12


I remembered Cory by wearing my Venice earrings today.  I still remember going into the little shop with my mom and admiring all the little trinkets on display.  Most of all, I remember that day when the night train arrived in Venice at sunrise, I stepped off of it, and took what seemed like the first deep breath since the day Cory died.  I remember my chest feeling full, but light...for once, not crushed under the weight of so much pain.  I remember looking at everything around in me wonder, smiling and laughing with my mother, and realizing for just a moment that the world could still be beautiful.  Sometimes, I take these earrings out, and wear them, remembering that feeling and knowing it is just what my Cory-Girl would want for me.






And, I remembered Cory tonight with Jacob.  He clamored to taste test the sauce I'd made.  Although a spoon might have been more practical, I handed him Cory's special fork, which he took reverently.  "Perfect."  Taste tester duty has been lovingly passed down from Cory to Jake, and I know she'd have it no other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment