Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Holiday Shopping

When the current holidays have little cheer to offer, I go back to visit the ones that did.  Today, I found myself thinking about the time Cory and I hit the mall during the holiday season.  Basically, I took her around to show me all the things she was hoping to get, and I kept a careful mental list.  One of the items she was crazy for that year was a grey velvet choker from Twilight at Hot Topic.  She was wild about that book series and the subsequent movies.  I noticed there was only one left on the rack, and practically pulled her out of the store, reassuring her that Santa had many ways of procuring out of stock items.

We walked down to Applebee's, and soon snuggled into a booth.  Once we'd placed our orders, I excused myself to go to the restroom.  Once out of immediate eyesight, I ran like hell out of the restaurant, and back to Hot Topic.  I scooped that necklace up, paid for it, and shoved it into my big purse.  Then looking very strange indeed, I'm sure, I ran back to the restaurant and headed for the restroom.  I returned to the table via return route from the bathroom to Cory's question, "What took you so long?"

I blamed it on my IBS, and changed the conversation.
Cory never suspected a thing.

She was delighted to pull the Twilight necklace out of her stocking on Christmas morning.  It rests now upstairs on her dresser, carefully laid out, as if for display.

I really miss making her happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment