Sunday, November 30, 2014

Tales of Jacob Volume III

Tonight Jacob had trouble getting to sleep, and tiptoed down the hall to my room.

"Mom, what would the punishment be if you caught me reading under the blankets with my flashlight?"

Despite whatever I responded to him about the importance of sleep and being prepared for school in the morning, I am certain I was grinning like a fool.

Yesterday, Jacob was struck with a bug, and spent the entire day and part of the evening on the toilet.  When he finally perked up a little towards nightfall, he said this, "Thank you, Mom, for taking care of me when I was sick."

And Thanksgiving day at my sister's, he was his post-Cory's-death reserved self.  He has always been a quiet boy, but his interactions with others now have become scant and slightly concerning.  Once he and I were rolling down their driveway, headed out to see Cory at the cemetery, he broke into silly song.

"Jacob, am I the only one who gets to see you this way?"  I asked him.
He grinned and answered, "Quite possibly."

At the cemetery, we were joined by my parents, who also couldn't bear to leave Cory out of the day.  We all stood in a despondent line before her grave, sick in our hearts.  Mom and Dad broke away to their car, and we made to say our goodbyes to our girl.  I watched as Jacob kissed her monument, and had no doubts, whatsoever, about his attachment to her.

And lastly allow me to share his negotiation tactics the last time I told him to get off his game on the computer:

"Mom, I know I've been on awhile already and I understand your concern.  But in my defense, I'd just like to say that I am socializing with kids my own age- four of them!  It's practically a community!"

Dear Lord, I am in so much trouble with this boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment