Friday, July 3, 2015

Just Perfect

This morning I had a dream that I was taking a toddler-aged Cory trick or treating.  I had her by the hand, but she tripped over the hem of her long princess gown, and went reeling as we descended someone's stone steps.  I grabbed for her, my heart in my throat, and checked her over from one end to another.  She was fine, just scared, and I grabbed her up to carry her to the next house on my hip.  She settled in comfortably, her pumpkin bucket bobbing in one hand, while her other hand rested around a lock of my hair.  I could feel everything...her weight against my hip, the remnant of a tear transferred from her chubby cheek to mine, her complete and utter trust of me.

And the way dreams do, it spilled over to cuddling up to an age-unknown Cory watching The Aristocats.  We delighted over our favorite parts, giggling even if we had seen them a few hundred times already, and ended the movie as we always did...with the sudden, fevered desire to go buy some kittens and teach them to paint and play the piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment