Saturday, September 28, 2013

Jacob on Parenting and the Afterlife

Jacob's kitten, Violet, has grown into a sweet young lady.  I said as much to Jake the other day, and burst into laughter at his response, "I did a good job with her, didn't I?"

"You did.  What's your secret?"  I asked, grinning as I awaited his answer.

"Well..."  Jacob said, drawing the word out as he furrowed his little brow.  "I think I kept really calm even when she wasn't, so she kinda followed my lead.  And every time she wanted to attack people's toes, I gave her a toy instead so she could attack that instead, and have fun playing without hurting anybody."

"Oh, I see, you gave her a replacement skill."  I commented, my heart doing a happy little jig.

"Yeah, I mean she's a kitten, she's supposed to pounce and scratch and stuff...that doesn't make her a bad girl.  I didn't yell at her when she wasn't doing what I wanted.  I just gave her lots of love when she was using her toys the right way."

"You sure did."  I said.

"We have a really close relationship."  he said in closing.

Gosh, Cory, get a load of our boy...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, was a low, low day.  Oliver, my orange tabby cat, and I just laid around all day, too sad to get out of bed.  When Jake got home from school, he saw how it was, and gave up some kisses on my behalf.  I asked him how he was doing, and he said, okay, but he misses Cory a lot.

I asked him, "How do you think Cory is doing?"

He tilted his head, and met my eyes, puzzled, "What?"

"Well, how do you think she is doing where she is?"  I asked.

"I think she's sad cause she can't be with us."  he answered.

"Do you think she's happy at all?"  I countered.

"I think Cory is happiest when she sees us being happy."  he said, and quietly exited the room.

How smart is this kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment