Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Driving Mr. Winston

Jake and I took Winston for a quick car ride today.  Jake turned his eyes to mine as we pulled in the drive, and said, "Man, Mom, I think he likes you better than me.  He always wants to ride in your lap."

"No, I don't think so.  I think he just wants to be with the driver.  I know, let's trade seats and see if he wants to sit with you if you're in the driver's seat."

"Okay!"  he smiled, willing to indulge my little social experiment.

We switched seats and I passed Winston over, paying less attention to him in Jake's lap than the fact that Jake actually seemed to sort of fit in that driver's seat, and surely that couldn't be right?  He noticed this, too, throwing his little shoulders back a little and sitting up tall in his seat.  He gripped the wheel and said, "Hey, this doesn't feel too bad!"  My heart skipped a beat to picture him driving, then skipped another because Cory never got to.  She never got to, and now she wasn't here to see her little brother getting ready for his turn to drive, to grow up, to just be.

I pretended not to notice as Winston stealthily made his way back to my lap.

"See, Mom!" he said, grinning, but obviously disappointed.

"He loves us both."  I said.

"Yeah, he does."  he agreed.

The three of us sat in the car for a moment, silent.  I couldn't help but wonder why Cory couldn't be with us to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment