Sunday, March 31, 2013

120 Minutes More


What if you had only two more hours to spend with your child?  I had no idea that is all I had with Cory when she woke up that day.  I started wondering today what I would have done differently had I known?  Well, first I would’ve hugged and kissed her a million times.  Told her how much I loved her and what she meant to me.  Made sure she knew that I loved her beyond all reason and would do anything in the world for her.  Made sure that she knew that I was proud of her, that she brought me joy I never could have imagined.  I would’ve made sure she knew that bringing her into this world was the very best decision I have ever made.  I wouldn’t have changed a thing about her.  She was the very best daughter and friend I could ever hope for.  I would’ve told her one more time that she was truly beautiful…inside AND out.

Then I thought about what I did manage to do in those two hours.  In about 120 minutes, I talked to her on the phone three times.  I told her I loved her- in fact, it’s the last thing we ever said to each other.  I made her smile when I complimented her outfit and hairdo for the day.  I made her laugh with our inside joke about Matthew McConaughey’s behind. I made sure she took her medicine, and ate.  I bought her pistachios- the very last thing she ate.   I read to her.  I have always loved to read to Cory since she was little.  And that day, I had written something I thought she had to hear… so I shared it with her. 

Looking back at those two hours, I think a lot took place.  None of it was breathtaking, but I think it all made her glad to be alive.  That baby knew she was loved.  She KNEW.  The reason she knew is because it was just an ordinary day.

And our days were always filled with love, laughter, and hope.

  “I got you, girl”                           Photo: Missing my girl

No comments:

Post a Comment