Monday, March 11, 2013

Questions Not Yet Answered


            Some things I’ll never know, and I have accepted that.  I’ll never know exactly how the accident took place- if the woman driving was truly speeding, if she was distracted by another car, or if she was simply looking forward to getting home, with her foot comfortably wedged to the gas pedal.  I’ll never know Cory’s last thoughts or if for some reason, she was anxious or had felt the need to hurry.

            My nightmares and trouble sleeping have persisted.  Cory keeps showing up to tell me that it did, in fact, hurt a real lot.  These words are wailed around a mouthful of blood, her teeth broken into uneven nubs. 

            During the day the full color, full sound flashbacks play hide and seek with me at work, in the car as I drive, as I eat my meals, and try to gain comfort from a cup of coffee.  Cory laid out flat on the road, dirty and scraped, her arm a seemingly boneless loop twisted into a position that was in no way natural.  Cory’s closed eyes that gave me such pathetic hope… didn’t people die with their eyes open?  Her dark lashes were a stark contrast to the pale, almost white cream of her face.  And finally, her lips- full and beautiful as always- but now an ominous dark blue, tinged with purple…the color of the sky after a summer thunderstorm, the color of a bad bruise, the color of death…Oh, God, Oh no, please, God.

            Something about her face as I dared to look closer caused a scream to build in the lowest part of my belly…something seemed not right…something was…flattened… slumped…irreparable.  These scattered, panic stricken assessments of her condition were reinforced by the slow, lumbering pace of the responders on the scene, who demanded I give them space to work on her, but stood around her, then bent at the knee, as they simply looked…listened….and spoke to each other in low tones that I could not hear.

            My eyes darted in pure terror from one set of eyes to another, from those of bystanders to those of rescue personnel who milled about the scene.  Each pair of eyes that I tried to capture, gave me peculiar looks that made my heart pound ever faster in my throat- looks of pity, looks of horror, looks of uncomfortable and heavy unease.

As my gaze fell back to my daughter’s body on the ground, with the responders bent over her, I saw that they were beginning to cut her shirt off her from bottom to top, right there on the road.  My heart leapt inside my chest!  THE PADDLES!  THE PADDLES!  They’re going to do the paddles, and she’s going to be ok!  Thank God!

I watched, but the paddles never came out.  They hooked her up to a machine; they walked around; they spoke to each other.  Then a man came over, with his head down.  I was so afraid of what he would say when he opened his mouth.  And I was right to be frightened, because he opened his mouth and reluctantly said, “I’m sorry, ma’am.  She is gone.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some or all of that imagery plays hide and seek with me throughout the day.  Tag, you’re it!

I found out later that she was hooked up to a monitor, and had no heartbeat.  She was not breathing.  The E.R. doctor was called, who made the decision to not attempt resuscitation.  Her injuries were just too severe. 

Oh, how that knowledge lies in my throat, in my stomach, in my heart, in my lungs- a bitter cancer constantly gnawing away at whatever it can reach, and finds still worth eating. 

Somewhere, miles and miles away, the man I made Cory with, walks around and lives his life.  He will soon be forty two years old.  This is truly amazing… since he died years ago.  On one of his two cocaine overdoses, he was declared dead.  But he, unlike my baby girl, was fortunate enough to be brought back with the paddles.

YEAH, THAT SEEMS FAIR.

The rage I feel when I think about this is almost like a living thing, an evil demon that has taken up residence in my body in the black of night, and now resides within me, restlessly pacing the fleshy walls of its new home.  I want to scream my lungs out.  I want to break things.  I want to knock down walls.  I want to burn, and scourge, and destroy. I want to hunt this man down and ask him a couple questions.

Why did you deserve the paddles?

And where were you when she was lying there, broken in the road?  What were you doing when your flesh and blood was dying?  Telling a joke?  Laughing?  Drinking a Snapple?

You son of a bitch, you left us again.  You left us when she was a baby.  You left us when she was sick.  You left me to do it all on my own.  Now just look what you missed out on this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment