Sunday, March 24, 2013

Back in the Saddle Chili

Ok guys, sorry I ditched you on the dinner blog over the last week.  Losing my cat, Sassy, threw me for a loop.  But I am back with a yummy chili recipe.  I think it was one of the first meals I cooked after the accident.  It's easy to make, and one of Jake and Tim's favorites.  Jake can be a picky eater, but I've discovered if I arrange anything into a bar (taco bar, chili bar, salad bar) where he can serve himself, he is twice as likely to try new things, and to eat more.

What You Need:

1 lb. ground turkey (lean)
1 onion, diced
2 cubanelle or poblano peppers (charred and chopped)
salt, pepper
palmful of the spice we do not speak of (its initials are c.p.)
1/2 palmful of cumin
1/2 palmful of Emeril's Original Essence (spice blend)
2 TBS tomato paste
28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes
14 ounce can of white beans
2 1/2 cups water

  • Brown turkey.
  • Season turkey with salt, pepper.
  • Add diced onion, and chopped peppers.  Peppers are most flavorful if they have been charred, the skin peeled, seed removed, and then chopped
  • Add spices to pan
  • Add tomato paste
  • Use half to entire can of tomatoes, depending on how much tomato you like.  I use full can.  Do not use liquid.  Pull out each tomato and squish into pot.  Kids love to help do this.
  • Drain and rinse cannelli beans.  Add to pot.
  • Add water
  • Bring chili to boil, then return to simmer
  • Simmer at least 30 min. or longer.  Add additional water, if needed.
My commentary:
  • Have the kids help assemble the bar.  Use whatever toppings you like.
  • We always have cubed cornbread, shredded sharp or smoked cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, and chopped green onions.  Crumbled bacon is ridiculously good, too.
  • If you make a double batch of this chili, you won't have to cook for 2-3 nights...love!

No comments:

Post a Comment