Monday, March 4, 2013

Meeting the Parents

There are so many chapters to this story- mine and Cory's- that sometimes I don't know where to start...the end, the beginning, the middle?  I have decided on all of the above, in whatever order my mind wants to take me.  So we are, back to when I was sweet sixteen, three years before Cory was born...wanna go?
          
       I’ll never forget the first time I met Bob’s dad.  I had already met his mom one day when I dropped by after school.  She was a short, slight Hispanic woman with dark wavy hair pulled back in a casual ponytail.  She was thirty six, and seemed impossibly young to me.  My mom was fifty one and would never wear a tube top.    I looked from her face to his, matching up the features one by one:  large, dark eyes, strong noses, full mouths.   He looked just like her.  Based on this alone, I loved her immediately and fiercely.  It was automatic, like breathing.  And no matter how complicated the relationship between her and I would grow over the years, there would always be a small piece of my heart that still loved her, remaining hurt and questioning.  There is still.

 As Bob introduced us, she swept over with a dramatic, “Oh, Booker!” as she shot him an approving glance, before centering herself directing in front of me, taking my face between her small, cool, brown hands.  Her eyes caught mine and held them as she stated, “My son said you were beautiful, but my goodness!  It’s so nice to meet you, Nick.”  She called me by his name for me, the one no one else in my life used, creating an instant bond.  In a bare two seconds she had managed to create a connection and to place me up on a high pedestal that I would do anything to stay on. 

After a few minutes of watching their interactions, I confirmed what Bob had already told me in private – he was indeed her favorite child, no apologies.  She worshipped him.  I had the immediate sense he would never be able to do wrong in her eyes.  I also sensed she may be my only competition for his affections; he was the definition of a momma’s boy.  Little did I know at this point that he had his reasons.   The need to please Bob in order to please this woman was instantly instilled in my heart.  I suppose most girls meeting their boyfriend’s mom wanted to make a good impression.  This was the next level.

            Now meeting Bob’s dad was another world entirely.  One Sunday evening, after church, I drove over to pick him up.  We went for a drive (aka found somewhere to park and made out like the hot-blooded teenagers we were).  He seemed distracted, as unhappy as I’d ever seen him in the few short months we’d been dating. Bob was always “up”.  His perpetual cheerfulness, playful nature, and constant banter were some of the things that most attracted me to him.  He relished in doling out nicknames, singing snatches of songs, and peppering conversation with lyrics that were meaningful to him.   He created scripts and rituals; he had an uncanny knack for building intimacy. The closer to him I felt, the more I wanted to please him.   I had never seen him like that, sad and low.  Even his kiss felt different, fraught with something darker than desire.  I pulled away.   “What’s wrong?”  I asked him.

            “Nothing.  It’s nothing, I just really needed to get out of my house tonight.  I don’t wanna talk about it.”  he said, reaching across the seat to resume kissing me instead.  The subject was closed. 

            When our little rendezvous came to a close, I drove him home.  We didn’t play our usual game of kissing at every red light, he just didn’t seem in the mood.  He lived near the church in a small house that was a little more modest than my parents.  “Damn it, he’s still home.”  he muttered, catching sight of the pickup in the drive.  No sooner were the words out of his mouth, than an angry man, red-faced and yelling, burst through the front door of his house, waving a shotgun.  “Get the hell off my property!”

            My jaw dropped.  I looked at Bob who looked as though he wanted to crawl inside himself and disappear.  He opened the car door and stepped out, holding an arm up in supplication like a common criminal caught in some illegal act rather than a son simply returning home from a date with his girlfriend.  “Dad, it’s just me and Nick.  Put that away.”

            “Don’t you tell me what to do, you little shit.  This is my fucking house and I”ll do whatever the fuck I want to.  Now tell that bitch to get out of here.” he gestured in my general direction with the shotgun.  I froze, unsure of the proper response.  Should I duck?  I stole a quick glance of a stocky man, maybe early forties, whose blond hair was starting to gray and stuck up wildly in every direction. 

            Bob leaned in the open car door.  “You’d better go.  He’s drunk again.”  he said it tonelessly, but his face was full of resentment.  And was that hate?  He didn’t have to tell me twice, I had the car in reverse before he’d even shut the door, telling me he loved me, to drive careful, and he’d call to make sure I made it home safe.  He was worried about my safety?

            I drove away from the house slowly, not wanting to look but unable to stop myself from rubbernecking as if this were a grisly accident.  It some ways, maybe it was.  Bob looked ever smaller as he climbed the steps to enter the house, his dad much taller in comparison, louder, obviously drunk, and wielding a weapon.  I was too stunned to cry, but suddenly it was hard to swallow.  Shaken, I turned the car toward home.

            Bob never told me what his dad was upset about that night, but in time I learned this was a regular occurrence at his house.  This problem solving style was so different from my parents; it was like visiting another planet, and observing aliens.  My mom and dad had drawn the lines in their relationship, too.  But their picture looked a lot different.  My dad loved her deeply.  My mom liked to be in control.  So whatever her wish, he simply bent to her will.  I didn’t think less of him; I thought more.  Her happiness was everything to him.  He knew about sacrifice.  There weren’t many arguments at my house that I remember growing up.  Maybe one or two.  Once and awhile my dad would put his foot down against the onslaught of requests my mom dealt out on the daily, just to remind her that he bent to her will because he wanted to, not because he had to.  She would grumble, never conceding his point, but retreating ever so slightly.  After a short time, they would return to their accustomed positions on the chessboard, the queen ruling all. 

            On the drive home, I tried to process what I had witnessed.  Older, wiser, looking back, I should have run for the hills.  But I was sixteen and in love.  What I saw made me feel sorry for Bob.  It made me want to love him enough to make up for whatever horrible things were happening to him at home.  Suddenly, I wanted nothing more in life but to get him out of that house and into a safe home with me, without shouting and without shotguns.  I would treat him the way he deserved to be treated. 

  As I pulled into my own driveway, I saw the one predictable lamp on in the living room- my parents were waiting up for me.  Inside, my mother would be watching a movie of the week, while my dad read a book, most likely The Bible, in his favorite armchair.  They moved around each other in a subtle and graceful dance of routine, perfected over the years… her leading, him following.  The house would be quiet, all the sounds predictable ones.  Screaming voices came only from the tv.  We didn’t own a firearm; my father was a pacifist. 

Above all, it was a safe place.  I had never thought of myself as lucky to have this.  It just was.   It would be a couple of years and many conversations in the dark of night, my head nestled against Bob’s shoulder, watching the shadows play on the walls while he told me about his childhood before I realized just how lucky I was.  Not everyone had it like that.  But it did occur to me, as I turned the doorknob to my parents’ house, that I hadn’t seen his mom.  She hadn’t come out of the house, not even to see who her husband was yelling at or what was happening outside.  That struck me as slightly odd, and many years later when I revisited that night with new and jaded eyes, it put a chill up my spine.

But at sixteen, I was strictly a surface thinker, just like most teenagers.  I was only worried about how his dad’s behavior made him feel.  I had no clue that his dad’s behavior, what he’d grown up watching ever since he could remember, might profoundly influence his own.  I haven’t missed the mark so badly before or since.

No comments:

Post a Comment