Sunday, August 2, 2015

Screw The Store: This Time I Mean It

We cannot continue eating take out all the time.  Forget the budget, there's our health to consider.  Jacob needs to be on more than a nodding acquaintance with vegetables; we all do.  I want to be the mom that puts gourmet meals on the table every night.  I do.  I used to be that girl, and I really liked her.  She put a little of her heart on every plate.  She got her kids excited about good food.  She was healthy.

That being said, grocery shopping is an issue.  Cooking can be, too.  What to do?

Enter Blue Apron.  A friend of mine on fb has a busy job that keeps her traveling all the time.  When she gets home, she wants to cook a delicious healthy meal, but dreads schlepping out to the store for the ingredients.  She decided to try one of the meal kit delivery services, and has been very satisfied with it.  I decided to give it a whirl.

It's all the food needed to make three dinners:  super fresh produce, high quality meat, fish, and seafood, herbs, spices, the whole kit and caboodle.  The only things you need to have on hand are salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Everything is premeasured to the recipe it comes with.  There's no waste.  You just chop it all up and swirl it around in a pan.  Voila!

Three dinners.  This leaves me to pick up stuff for two dinners and coldcuts on my own, and I'm good for the week.  Milk.  Juice.  In and out.

So far there have been lamb burgers (so good Jacob ate Tim's before I could stop him), a scrumptious pasta dish, and chicken Milanese with a summer salad that stole the show.  I actually witnessed Jacob eating something of the green leafy variety.  On purpose.

We may be on to something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment